Jo's journey into art and painting began at home as both her parents were practicing artists and art teachers. At a young age she was determined to set out on a different path and as a result her initial studies were in psychology. Ironically she later returned to this through her work in Special Educational Needs - an area which also requires a huge amount of creativity, however.
Much of Jo's childhood was spent along the South West Coast of England around Devon and Cornwall and as a result the sea became a key point of reference. Her entire degree show over thirty years ago in art college was based on the sea, with a wall of heavily collaged pieces and vast drawings of the coastline.
Jo went on to meet her partner Mick, who hailed originally from West Cork, and they have since settled on the beautiful island of Sherkin off the coast of Baltimore.
Training & Education
• Bourneville School of Art, University of Birmingham 1979 -80
• The Ruskin School of Drawing and Fine Art, Oxford University 1981- 1984
• Goldsmith’s College, University of London. 1985-1986
As an art teacher with an interest in child psychology, Jo went on to develop a career in SEN.
Jo remained co-vocational, however, until she had a son in 1990. She returned to professional painting a few years later. She was elected Associate Member of the RBSA in May 2004.
Prizes and commendations:
- First prize: RBSA Prize exhibition, 2004
- Highly commended: Dulwich Picture Gallery Summer Exhibition, 2006
- Cill Rialaig Arts Residency, Kerry, 2015
Group/solo Exhibitions and Art Fairs (2001 – 2015) include:
- Royal Birmingham Society of Artists, Birmingham
- Artmonsky Arts, London
- Stark Gallery, London
- Camberwell Arts, London
- The Mall Galleries, London
- Helmsley Arts. Helmsley
- Karen Taylor Contemporary Arts, London
- The Stour Gallery, Shipston-on-Stour
- Skylark Gallery, London
- Dulwich Picture Gallery, London
- Norden Farm Arts Centre, Maidenhead
- The Store Street Gallery, London
- The Affordable Art Fair, London
- Art Ireland, Dublin
- The Private Collector Gallery, Innishannon,
- The Warren Gallery, Castletownshend and Dublin
- The Iverni Gallery, Kenmare
- The Tramyard Gallery, Dublin
- West Cork Arts Centre, Skibbereen
- Kilkenny Arts Festival with The Stour Gallery
- The Hungry Hill Gallery, Adrigole
- The Morris Gallery, Skibbereen
Jo has work in private and corporate collections in England, Scotland, Ireland and Europe.